[mou] Butterfly and Dragonfly answers

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:42:04 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C46367.67B54210

I sent the picture of the Dragonfly to the dragonfly guru, Kurt Mead who =
lives in Finland, MN.  If you don't know Kurt Mead wrote a very good =
guide called "Dragonflies of the North Woods" Its part of the North =
Woods Naturalist Series and Mark "sparky" Stensaas is part owner of the =
company that has published several great books of the wildlife of the =
north woods.

The Dragonfly is a Rachet-tailed Emerald and I was stumped if it was a =
Clubtail or some weird kind of Emerald. It has brilliant green eyes and =
when it flies the abdomen is slightly curled while it hovers back and =
forth.=20

The Butterfly is a Northern Crescent and they are in good numbers in the =
Sax Zim bog right now.

I have several other dragonfly pictures. This is very addicting and fun. =
My kids are into it and my son, Ben is not one bit afraid to pull out a =
dragonfly out of the net. He carefully folds the wings back and slightly =
pinches the wings and holds them for me while I photo them. Later on we =
go on the computer and pull out the guides and see what we caught. We do =
the same for butterflies but we mostly concentrate on dragonflies.

I got one email wondering if the MOU would support a dragonfly trip and =
do some netting and identifying and that sparked a possibility. I would =
also like to do a butterfly trip and get some MOU members who are very =
good at this and lead us around. Than again if we start doing these kind =
of trips than the MOU will look like a Audubon Society. I really would =
love to do these kind of trips during the summer months when the birding =
is slow.=20

There is Dragonfly symposium in International Falls, Minnesota and there =
doing all kinds of daily hikes and collecting in the area up there. I =
can forward the information that I have if interested and it begins next =
week. Let me know.

I'll be gone in the Bahamas next week and I still don't have a bird =
guide for the area and I hope to find a guide in Nassau. The Duluth =
Library has a guide but its in pen and ink and I would prefer pictures =
or photo guide. I got my farmer tan going on and I regained all my =
weight. I bought some kool looking knee high black socks with garters, =
huge obnoxious sun glasses, a cheesy touristy straw hat, plaid shorts =
and bright orange T-shirt. I am going to look awesome!=20

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C46367.67B54210

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I sent the picture of the Dragonfly to =
the=20
dragonfly guru, Kurt Mead who lives in Finland, MN.&nbsp; If you don't =
know Kurt=20
Mead wrote a very good guide called "Dragonflies of the North Woods" Its =
part of=20
the North Woods Naturalist Series and Mark "sparky" Stensaas is part =
owner of=20
the company that has published several great books of the wildlife of =
the north=20
woods.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Dragonfly is a Rachet-tailed =
Emerald and I was=20
stumped if it was a Clubtail or some weird kind of Emerald. It has =
brilliant=20
green eyes and when it flies the abdomen is slightly curled while it =
hovers back=20
and forth. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Butterfly is a Northern Crescent =
and they are=20
in good numbers in the Sax Zim bog right now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have several other dragonfly =
pictures. This is=20
very addicting and fun. My kids are into it and my son, Ben is not one =
bit=20
afraid to pull out a dragonfly out of the net. He carefully folds the =
wings back=20
and slightly pinches the wings and holds them for me while I photo them. =
Later=20
on we go on the computer and pull out the guides and see what we caught. =
We do=20
the same for butterflies but we mostly concentrate on =
dragonflies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I got one email wondering if the MOU =
would support=20
a dragonfly trip and do some netting and identifying and that sparked a=20
possibility. I would also like to do a butterfly trip and get some MOU =
members=20
who are very good at this and lead us around. Than again if we start =
doing these=20
kind of trips than the MOU will&nbsp;look like a Audubon&nbsp;Society. I =
really=20
would love to do these kind of trips during the summer months when the =
birding=20
is slow. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There is Dragonfly symposium in =
International=20
Falls, Minnesota and there doing all kinds of daily hikes and collecting =

in&nbsp;the area up there. I&nbsp;can forward the information that I =
have if=20
interested and it begins next week.&nbsp;Let me know.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'll be gone in the Bahamas next week =
and I still=20
don't have a bird guide for the area and I hope to find a guide in =
Nassau. The=20
Duluth Library has a guide but its in pen and ink and&nbsp;I would =
prefer=20
pictures or photo guide. I got my farmer tan going on and I regained all =
my=20
weight. I bought some kool looking knee high black socks with =
garters,&nbsp;huge=20
obnoxious sun glasses, a cheesy touristy straw hat, plaid shorts and =
bright=20
orange&nbsp;T-shirt. I am going to&nbsp;look awesome! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C46367.67B54210--