[mou] Upland Sandpiper and two young seen in Rice County at 4:15 today

Forest Strnad fkstrnad@ll.net
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:47:44 -0500

Greetings:

 Kirsten and I were birding east Rice County this
afternoon.At the sewage pond at Dennison, MN we saw two
young birds, with down on the sides.  We noticed that the
bill was about an inch long and thin.  Then an adult bird
flew onto the road, leading into the sewage pond, where we
were seeing the young birds. This bird had a yellow bill,
about an inch+ long with a black tip. It was blackish on
sides, wings, with a very buffy breast that was heavily
barred. There was also some barring on the side. The birds
had dark eyes and a dark stripe on the head with a light
median stripe. It had a back and forth head motion as it
walked. Could it be, an UPLAND SANDPIPER?   I moved the car
ahead, and  the bird flew into the bean field.   As it
alighted it raised it wings: the final item I needed to
identify it as an UPLAND SANDPIPER.  We had just seen this
species in Kansas this summer, but it was on a post.  As it
flew from one post to another, it raised its wings as it
alighted on  the post.

To reach Dennison, MN,  from Minneapolis area, go south on
I-35 to the Northfield exit. Or go south from St. Paul on
State Highway #3.  In Northfield, go south of the #19
Highway by the fire station, about a half mile or so to
Highway 246 (Dennison Blvd).  Turn left, east and follow
this highway  about 6 miles till you come to Kane Avenue.
246 turns south, continue east on Dennison Blvd. till you
come to within a half mile west of Dennison. The entrance is
on the south, right side, just beyond the,"slower speed
ahead"  sign , between two fields one beans the other corn.

We saw the birds along this road about half way in to the
sewage pond. The young kept right along side the roadway and
got as close as 6-8 feet from the car.  THE adult was not
scared and just kept feeding, as did the young birds, and
moving about. We got within 20 feet of the adult bird.

I don't know what recent records there are of this species
breeding in Rice County, or even the State of Minnesota, but
it is the first for us.

Rev. Forest and Kirsten Strnad
Faribault, MN.