[mou] Blue Grosbeaks/Brown County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:55:04 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0145_01C46D11.E1BF51A0

Early this evening I found a male and female Blue Grosbeak south of =
Sleepy Eye.  The spot where I found them is along a gravel pit where I =
discovered a Lark Sparrow family a few weeks ago (the Lark Sparrows are =
still present.)  I first heard the male Blue Grosbeak singing from the =
top of some weeds.  I viewed it for maybe half a minute before it flew =
off into a nearby field.  I left and came back with a Blue Grosbeak =
recording.  I heard it singing in some trees when I got back but I =
played the recording and it flew in like a rocket and I got great looks =
at it through my scope.  After awhile it flew a short distance away and =
was joined by the female. =20

The place where I found them is roughly 7 miles south of Sleepy Eye on =
Hwy. 4.  The exact location is 1.6 miles south of the intersection of =
Brown county 22 on Hwy.4.  You'll see a "Adopt a Highway" sign that says =
Petersen Well, Inc. on it.  The entrance is just a few feet south of =
this sign.  Turn right and the area where the Grosbeaks were found is =
the area along the south side of the dirt entrance road.  Follow the =
entrance (it does a dog leg to the right) and then opens up where you'll =
see two large piles of gravel a short distance on the left. Check =
anywhere along the weedy border that runs from the gravel piles back =
east (towards the highway) to the trees.   PLEASE NOTE: This place is =
the property of the State Highway Dept. and says "Keep Out".  Whenever =
I've stopped out there it's always been in the evening or on the weekend =
and I've never seen any state workers (or anyone else for that matter.)  =
However, anyone who decides to go in there needs to be aware of this. =20

Brian Smith

P.S. If anyone else finds these birds, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me =
know. =20

------=_NextPart_000_0145_01C46D11.E1BF51A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Early this evening I found&nbsp;a male =
and female=20
Blue Grosbeak south of Sleepy Eye.&nbsp; The spot where I found them=20
is&nbsp;along a&nbsp;gravel pit where I discovered a Lark Sparrow family =
a few=20
weeks ago (the Lark Sparrows are still present.)&nbsp; I first heard the =
male=20
Blue Grosbeak singing from the top of some weeds.&nbsp; I viewed it for =
maybe=20
half a minute before it flew off into a nearby field.&nbsp; I left and =
came back=20
with&nbsp;a&nbsp;Blue Grosbeak&nbsp;recording.&nbsp; I heard it singing =
in some=20
trees when I got back but I played&nbsp;the recording and it flew in =
like a=20
rocket and I got great looks at it through my scope.&nbsp; After awhile =
it flew=20
a short distance away and was joined by the female.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The place where I found them is =
roughly&nbsp;7=20
miles south of Sleepy Eye on Hwy. 4.&nbsp; The exact location is 1.6 =
miles south=20
of the intersection of Brown county 22 on Hwy.4.&nbsp; You'll see a =
"Adopt a=20
Highway" sign that says Petersen Well, Inc. on it.&nbsp; The entrance is =
just a=20
few feet south of this sign.&nbsp; Turn <U>right</U> and the area where =
the=20
Grosbeaks were found is the area&nbsp;along the&nbsp;south side of the =
dirt=20
entrance road.&nbsp; Follow the entrance (it does a dog leg to the =
right) and=20
then opens up where you'll see two large piles of gravel a short =
distance on the=20
left.&nbsp;Check anywhere&nbsp;along the weedy border&nbsp;that =
runs&nbsp;from=20
the gravel piles back east (towards the highway) to the =
trees.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
PLEASE NOTE: This place is the property of the State Highway =
Dept.&nbsp;and says=20
"Keep Out".&nbsp; Whenever I've stopped out there it's always been in =
the=20
evening or on the weekend and I've never seen any state workers (or =
anyone else=20
for that matter.)&nbsp; However,&nbsp;anyone who decides to go&nbsp;in =
there=20
needs to be&nbsp;aware of this.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>P.S. If anyone else finds these birds, =
I'd=20
appreciate it if you'd let me know.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0145_01C46D11.E1BF51A0--