[mou] Henslow's Sparrow in Lake Elmo Park

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:20:13 EDT

After much careful listening and exploring some of the more far-flung paths
of Lake Elmo, I was delighted to hear, then observe singing a Henslow's Sparrow
the afternoon of the 22nd.  It was a distant look, and though I was unable to
see the olive tint to the head and nape, I observed the general markings as
it sang its "song".  It was east of the path halfway between posts 26 and 27 on
the park map.  If approachng from post 26, you need to go through a small
wooded spot with a dry creek bed running through it.  About 50 yards beyond that
is where I saw the bird.  Lake Elmo Park is in Washington Co., north of Hwy 94
on the Cty. 19 exit.
The other jewel for the day was a terrific view of a male Scarlet Tanager.
Good birding
Linda Sparling Hennepin County