[mou] C. moorhens

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:19:36 -0700

Hello all,
Sorry for the late post but last week Tuesday the 20th I was down with
some friends in Brown County only a couple miles from the moorhen spot.
I was able to see it after ten or fifteen minutes of waiting on the
south pond maybe fifteen yards away.  I saw only one of the adults as it
hugged the cattails feeding.  After a minute or so it swam back in the
cattails.  I again came back the 21st to see if I could see them again
with the young.  As my mom stopped the car I ran over to see all eight
young and one of the adults scurry for the cattails from the center of
the north pond.  The young vanished in the weeds but the adult swam the
cattail line an estimated thirty feet away calling to the other adult
which I could hear back in the cattails.  I got amazing views of the
bird for an extensive amount of time.  The bird happened to be a state
bird for me, # 299.  I went back one other time to see if I could get a
photo which I didn't, but did again see the adult at around the same
range and one of the young which darted into the cattails.  Good birding
to all.

Josh Watson
Grand Marais

---