[mou] Arizona birdimg guides

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:19:28 -0500

For anyone interested the ABA book finding birds in SE Arizona is =
absolutely excellent, and a new edition just came out recently...its well =
worth the buy.  I've used it extensively on both my trips down there.  =
Also one can visit http://www.sabo.org/birding/sites.htm which is another =
great resource.  Its the Southeast Arizona Birding Observatory website, =
and the link I just gave is a site listing for each of the areas.

One could, by the way, do the loop Warren mentioned, but i'd do it in =
reverse order.  Get up early, drive from tucson to Paton's in Patagonia, =
spend 30 mins or less at their feeders (No hummers in Jan and not much =
activity really), then head to Patagonia lake to look for wintering birds. =
 An Elegant Trogon has wintered there the last 2 winters.  Then from there =
head to Kino Springs and check for wintering birds around the ponds.  =
After that head up to Madera and spend the afternoon there, overnight at =
Madera, and bird the trails the following day before heading back to =
Tucson.

The other idea that I mentioned dealing with the Huachuca's is also =
possible in one day.  One could easily do Ramsey Canyon, Garden Canyon and =
Miller Canyon all in a day, though it'd probably be more profitable to do =
only two of them, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I'd =
probably skip Garden Canyon in the winter as there aren't any trogons =
there in January, and the birds will be the same otherwise.  Its definitely=
 a place to go in May as you are pretty well guaranteed trogons there.

Good birding,

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD (UDLP-GSD for 6 mo)
Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA for 6 mo.)
(763) 572-5320
(408) 289-3840 (For the next 6 months)
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "Warren Woessner" <WWoessner@slwk.com> 07/29/2004 07:27:00 AM >>>
I agree with Chris..guides are good if you are going after a singe
difficult species, like Rufous Capped Warbler in French Joe Canyon, but
are not needed to find most of the specialties..I would add that you
should get one of the good guides to birding sites in SE Arizona. I
can't recall their exact names (like "Finding Birds in SE Arizona" but
they are available from ABA Sales (American Birding Association). With
only one day I would get up early and do a loop that includes Madera
Canyon (cabins and feeder area), Kino Springs Golf course and the
Payton's feeder and Sonoita Creek Refuge (take one of the trails from
the little visitor center down to the creek). (as if you can really do
that in one day, but you can hit the highlights)
Warren