[mou] MOU RBA 29 July 2004

Brad Bolduan bbolduan@rconnect.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:56:22 -0500

I tried to relocate the Rough-legged Hawk yesterday evening.  I had no luck.
I plan to try again on Saturday, but I am not optimistic.  What is another
100 miles for a bird that far out of its summer range.

Since I live SW of Red Rock Prairie, I now find myself paying particuliar
attention to every buteo I encounter.

Brad Bolduan
Windom, MN
bbolduan@rconnect.com

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On Behalf
Of Anthony X. Hertzel
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 20:58
To: MOU Listservice
Subject: [mou] MOU RBA 29 July 2004

This is the Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 29th.

A male RUFF was found in Big Stone County on the 25th and it was still
present today. From the junction of Big Stone County Roads 12 and 10 go east
half a mile, then go north on an unmarked dirt road for 3/4 of a mile. The
bird has been seen in a pot hole on left.

Unusual was the July 26th sighting of a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER on the
fairway of the #1 hole at the Two Harbors golf course in Lake County. This
is about a quarter mile east of the clubhouse.

Most unusual was the apparent adult light-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK reported
July 23rd at Red Rock Prairie, Cottonwood County, and it was last seen
flying to the southwest.

A SHORT-EARED OWL was in Home Township, Norman County, on the 23rd. This was
along the west side of County Road 158, three-quarters of a mile north of
County Road 39.

This state-wide birding report is brought to you and financially supported
by the Minnesota Ornithologists' Union (MOU). The MOU is Minnesota's oldest
and largest bird club.

The report is composed from observations generously submitted by MOU members
and other birders throughout the state. You can support this weekly update
by submitting your bird reports to Anthony Hertzel at axhertzel@sihope.com
or by calling the hotline directly at 763-780-8890 and leaving a detailed
message.

MOU members receive this report directly on MOU-net, the club's free e-mail
listservice, which is available to anyone interested. For information
contact David Cahlander at <david@cahlander.com>.

MOU members receive the organization's quarterly journal "The Loon" and the
bimonthly magazine, "Minnesota Birding". For membership information, send an
e-mail message to our membership secretary at moumembers@yahoo.com.

In cooperation with the Minnesota Office of Tourism, highlights of this
hotline can be now heard at a toll free number which is available to callers
outside the Twin Cities area. The number is 1-800-657-3700.

The MOU is pleased to offer this service. Thank you, and good birding.

The next scheduled update of this tape is Thursday, August 5th.

--

Anthony X. Hertzel -- axhertzel@sihope.com