[mou] Dakota Cty - more spring arrivals

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc@gmail.com
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:57:07 -0500

------=_Part_36293_12777068.1175475427183

Hello Birders,

Checking out 140th St marsh this morning yielded few new arrivals (for me).
Present were:

Brown-headed cowbird - first of year
juncos - lots again.  noticed several color phases, but no Oregons
Tree sparrow
Brewers blackbird - first of year
all the other expected locals

On Emery Ave. just south of 145th I heard then saw:

Field Sparrow - first of year

At 180th, things were a bit more interesting:

I saw a pair of ducks(?) about coot sized with dark bill and head with pale
grayish body - that was what I assume to be the male.  The assumed female
was less descript.  I am not sure what they were - they were at the far end
of the furthest out pond and hard to see well amongst the reeds in the wind.
L. scaup maybe? They stayed low in the water the whole time I saw them -
necks tucked in.

Gadwall - first of year
Redhead - first of year
American Widgeon - 5 or 6 pairs - the most I have ever seen at once
Ring-neck ducks - still lots
Brewers blackbirds - 2 flocks -plus a few in mixed flocks with Grackles,
redwings, etc.
Coots - first of year
Bufflehead
Blue-wing teal

on the way home along Hwy 52 at Concord (South) by Cahill road I saw:

L. scaup - first of year

All in all, not a bad jaunt for about 2 hours of birding!

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
651-308-0234 cell

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin