[mou] Dakota County

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 18:09:45 EDT 2007

Got out for a couple of hours mid-day in Dakota County.  I checked out Lake
Byllesby where conditions were less than optimal with the lighting poor and
heat shimmer interfering with the long view.  while the lake is high, there
is still plenty of sand and mud to attract shorebirds.  Besides a couple of
Killdeer, the only shorebird I was able to ID was a Greater Yellowlegs.  I
saw a landing of a flock of probably a couple hundred peeps, but I was too
far upstream to be able to see any details.  When I moved closer, I could
not find any trace of the birds.

Other highlights:
Bonaparte's Gull fly-by of at least 5 at Lake Byllesby.  When I first heard
them, I immediately started looking for a tern and was surprised when I
found the Bonnies.
Am. White Pelican: good numbers at Byllesby.
Belted Kingfisher: watching the ditch at Highway 50 and Blaine west of
Hampton.
Loggerhead Shrike: near presummed nesting area by the Nike installation on
260th St, west of Blaine.
Vesper Sparrows: several locations.

180th Street marsh was quiet and empty.  Most of the fields were quite dry
for this time of year.  Jirik sod farms did looked mostly dry.  Drainage
lake on 160th St. south of Rosemount looked like good habitat, but I did not
see anything.

sweston2 at comcast.net