[mou] two questionable sightings

Annette Smith anne_0266 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 14:34:58 EDT 2007

While crossing 101 from Shakopee to 212 I saw what appeared to be a red-winged blackbird (which I see all the time) but the shoulder marking was light yellow/orange rather than red.  I haven't found anything in books or online that matches this.  The birds was right at the side of the road in plain sight, but perhaps the sun was playing tricks on me or something.

I also thought I saw, out a ways in the marsh, what appeared to be a black goose with white hindquarters.  The only bird I've found matching the description is a greater white-fronted goose, which I know nothing about and have never seen before.

If anyone can provide clarification on either of these sightings I'd appreciate it.

This morning a saw a male mallard sliding down the creek bank before dropping into the creek.  Other than that I've had three days of house finches, blue jays, and red-winged blackbirds.

Annette R
Carver, MN