[mou] ALERT: Help Stop the Deaths of Millions of Migratory Birds at Communications Towers

Steve Holmer sholmer at abcbirds.org
Thu Apr 19 13:14:22 EDT 2007

ALERT: Help Stop the Deaths of Millions of Migratory Birds at Communications
Towers

Every year, as many as 50 million birds die after colliding with tall towers
that relay signals for our TVs, radios, and cell phone networks. These
deaths, that include many species of declining songbirds such as the
Black-throated Blue Warbler and Dickcissel, are needless and preventable. We
now have our first opportunity to take action.

 <http://www.saveourbirds.org/nprm> Ask the FCC to change the lighting
scheme on towers to reduce bird kills.

There are more than 90,000 lighted communication towers across the country.
Most of these use steady burning or slow pulsing lights to warn aircraft of
their presence. These lights attract birds, particularly during bad weather
during peak nighttime migration periods. The birds become disorientated by
the lights and crash into the towers, their guy wires, and each other, or
plummet to the ground in exhaustion.

Strobe lights are just as visible to aircraft, and science has repeatedly
shown they are far less attractive to birds. By mandating the use of these
strobe lights instead of slow pulsing or steady-burning lights, we can
prevent these deaths.

Now the FCC, the agency that licenses towers, is considering a rule that
will mandate strobes on all towers. They are seeking public comment on this
proposal. This is your opportunity to let them know how important it is that
they approve it.

 <http://www.saveourbirds.org/nprm> Click Here to send in your comment
today.
Deadline for comments is Monday, April 23!

A copy of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is available from the FCC
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-164A1.doc> here.

American Bird Conservancy ( <http://www.abcbirds.org> www.abcbirds.org) is a
501(c)3 not-for-profit organization, whose mission is to conserve native
wild birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. For more information
please call 540/253-5780.

Subscribe to Bird Wire

 <http://www.abcbirds.org/membership/birdwiresignup.cfm> Click Here to
Subscribe and receive regular email updates on this and other bird
conservation issues.

Cerulean Warbler Conservation Coffee

Buy this great-tasting coffee and help protect Cerulean Warblers and our
other declining neotropical songbirds.
<http://store.thanksgivingcoffee.com/abc> Buy Today

Join ABC Today and become a part of The Future of Bird Conservation

All members receive three issues each of ABC's magazine and ABC's newsletter
per year with the best of everything that is happening in the world of bird
conservation.   <https://www.abcbirds.org/membership/join.cfm> Join Now

Steve Holmer

Director of Public Relations

American Bird Conservancy