[mou] Western Tanager update

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Wed Apr 25 11:37:12 EDT 2007

Just an update on the Western Tanager I observed in my back yard this
morning in Spring Lake Park just south of Northtown Mall.  I had no
idea of the rarity of the bird for this area!  The bird was on the
ground next to my water feature and I had glorious looks for about 15
minutes.  Stuck out like a cartoon character with its bright yellow
bidy enhanced by black and that brilliant orangy-red head.  Then it
took off towards another part of my yard.  I have not seen it since.

I slept in this morning and didn't even look out until 7:30 a.m.
(blessedily self employed) so I don't know if it was out earlier than
that.  I will be getting up at dawn tomorrow in case the bird is a
morning visitor.  I will also be setting out fruits and raisins to
help entice the feathered beastie should it be checking me out for an
extended stay.

I will keep everyone apprised and as soon as I see it again I will
stock up on tea and crumpets for a morning gathering should that be
tanager appropriate.

Thanks for all the info and emails.  Can life get any richer than
this - of course, and I get to enjoy this one in the light of your
enthusiasm right now!  Thank you.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park