[mou] Hooded Warbler, Winona County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:08:26 EDT 2007

Jen Sobiech and I were birding Great River Bluffs State Park this evening
and were ecstatic to find a Hooded Warbler at about 6:30 PM.

If you drive past the main office, you will notice a large field on your
left (a traditional Henslow's Sparrow spot).  When this field ends, there is
a parking lot on your left.  Park here, and continue walking the road.  You
will pass pines on both sides.  20 yds. after the pines on the right was
where the Hooded Warbler was giving a call note.  I heard a towhee call, and
at first assumed the call note also belonged to the towhee, but pishing
revealed an adult male Hooded Warbler!

Overall, things were pretty quiet.  We did not detect any Henslow's
Sparrows.

Dedrick Benz
Winona County