[mou] Western Tanager again

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Fri Apr 27 12:10:53 EDT 2007

The bird showed up at his favorite orange (the highest on the sumac
bush - easily visible from outside the fence - except for possibly
the less than tall =:)) at least by 6:15 a.m. this morning.  It came-
and-went inconsistently throughout the morning until it went away
around 8:30 or so.  What I noticed that was consistent with its later
presence yesterday was that it was overcast with much less intense
sun throughout the morning.  This was also true when it was present
the day before yesterday when I first observed it.  Today the sun was
more intense and the bird was gone (as far as I know) by 8:30 or so.
Whether there is a correlation, I don't know.  It just seems to me
that when the sun's intensity is enough for me to "feel the heat",
the bird is gone for the day - at least so far.  Yesterday I kept
checking the orange and it appeared that something had been
continuing to eat on it in the afternoon.  This morning I was
noticing that a house finch was also savoring that particular half.

All of this is the delightful rantings of an analytical birder whose
only desire is to share the presence of this bird.  For anyone who
has not "hosted" a bird before - this has been a hoot for me.
Everyone who comes is so enthusiastic and committed and considerate.
There is truly an elegance with the birders I have met in my life and
Minnesotans rant up with the nicest I have met.  Thank you so much
for reminding me that my birding insanity is a shared experience and
it is to sweet to relate to fellow inmates.  My neighbors are still
talking and smiling.  You are making their days too.

Anyone desiring a photo of the bird (a small portion of an large
photo file) let me know at this email address.  If I send you a small
image you probably won't see much even with zoom.  You would need the
1.2MB file to be able to get a good look at full zoom.

Thomas Maiello