[mou] Glossy Ibis present at 3:00 today

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Mon Apr 30 19:13:58 EDT 2007

Two years ago, I decided not to skip my classes when the Aitkin Glossy
Ibis was found, and never had the chance to see it before it was gone.
So, given a second chance, I did indeed skip my afternoon classes
today and drove to Lac Qui Parle County to see the Glossy Ibis with
its White-faced cousins.

I arrived to the spot at 2:30 this afternoon and found the group of
ibises in the wetlands on the east side of 211 St., just north of its
junction with CR 14. This is to the northwest of their original spot
where they were seen by others this morning. The Glossy Ibis stood out
among the 13 or so White-faced Ibises by its noticeably larger size.
As soon as I put my scope on it, it walked away from the White-faced
Ibises, and for the half-hour that I remained there it probed the mud
away from the others, as if it was embarrassed that I had initially
seen it with the White-faced Ibises. A cool bird, even if it is a bit
stuck up.

All ibises were still there at 3:00 when I departed.

Yours truantly,

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County