[mou] Cardinals in my Backyard

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:14:43 CST 2007

Before the storm last weekend I had up to 8 cardinals in my backyard ( 5 males and 3 females) I saw them all at the same time.  Today during the strong lake effect snow fall (so far were up to 2+ inches)  once again I have 8 cardinals in the backyard at the feeders. This is really cool since most Duluth feeders that I know of have maybe 2-3 cardinals visiting their feeders but to have so many is amazing.

Other birds I have at the feeder:
- 12 Juncos plus a nice looking oregon type.
-  American Goldfinches
- 1 Common Redpoll
- 4 Pine Grosbeaks ( females )

When I was young I only dream about about having cardinals at my feeders and since about 1979 northern cardinals really been making a push northward into Duluth. Also House Finches came on the scene in Duluth around 1983-84 and now they are common in most backyards in Duluth.  So its sort of cool to have so many cardinals in my backyard and also have house finches at my feeders.  I started feeding birds back in 1973 in Duluth and birders only wished to see a cardinal and now they are a dime a dozen in Duluth.  I remember seeing my first Minn. house finch in 1983 in my parent's lilac tree and that sighting made the Duluth RBA! Since then house finches are a every day bird that everyone has at thier feeders.

I wonder how long it will take for Eurasian Collared Doves to be part of the Duluth scene or Carolina Wrens?

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
Blog: http://colderbythelakebirding.blogspot.com/