[mou] MRVAC - Metro Birding trip - 12/3/2007 - Trip Report

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Tue Dec 4 13:04:06 CST 2007

12/3/2007

Enjoyed a nice day bird watching around the metro on Monday, with a group from my Audubon chapter.  We made stops at Hardman Ave., Point Douglas Park, Freedom Park ( in Wisconsin), Hastings, Lock & Dam #2, MVNWR - Visitor Center - Bloomington and ended the day at Lake Calhoun.  We arrived at Lake Calhoun around 2:30 pm and there were a number of Gulls sitting far out on the ice.  We were able to confirm Ring-billed and Herring Gull IDs, but nothing else.  There were a number of Bald Eagles that would get the Gulls to fly up from there resting spot on the ice.  So it made viewing even more difficult.  At sunset there were about 300 Gulls resting on the NW side of the lake, but again.  Nothing other than Ring-billed and Herring Gulls were identified.  There was still some open water on the North end of the lake, with a mix of waterfowl and several Trumpeter Swans.

Here are a few of the 43 species observed by the group:

Pied-billed Grebe - Point Douglas Park
Cackling Goose - Point Douglas Park
14 species of waterfowl - combined at all locations.
Rough-legged Hawk - Light morph bird observed along Neal Ave, just North of Washington CR 76.

Craig Mandel
EgretCMan at msn.com<mailto:EgretCMan at msn.com>
Hennepin County, MN