[mou] Savannah Sparrows - McLeod County

Joel Claus jclaus13 at msn.com
Sun Dec 9 15:16:15 CST 2007

I drove some of the back roads in McLeod county this morning looking for Snow Buntings and instead came across two very late Savannah Sparrows.  The birds were on the road at the corner of Garden Ave and 217th St northeast of the town of Silver Lake.  I observed them from the window of my car at a distance of 15 feet for several minutes and had good looks at the finely streaked breasts, yellow wash on the lore's, and light median crown stripe.  When I phished at them they flew into the trees of an adjacent farmstead.  Perhaps there are feeders there that they are frequenting.

I also saw a beautiful dark morph Rough-legged Hawk along Carver CR 30, 1/4 mile west of CR 10 outside of Waconia.