[mou] Wabasha to Red Wing

northernflights at charter.net northernflights at charter.net
Sun Dec 9 20:11:37 CST 2007

Today from the viewing deck at Wings over Alma WI, just below the lock and dam, I
found a Dbl.-creasted Cormorant standing at the edge of the ice upstream from
the docks on the far side of the spillway. It appeared to be missing part of its
right wing or was deformed. It was hanging out with the Mallards and one
Canvasback and one Lesser Scaup. There was also one Ring-necked Duck in the open
water just below the spillway. About a dozen Bald Eagles were in the vicinity.

A lone A. Robin was found in a crab apple tree upstream in Nelson WI.

On the Minnesota side of the river the Bald Eagle jackpot was Reeds Landing.
Probably more than 200 Eagles graced the trees and ice. Open water here held a
huge raft of Common Merganser and Goldeneye. I found one Hooded Merganser in the throng of divers. A small flock of Tree Sparrow and Junco foraged along the
railroad tracks.

No activity in Wabasha.

Colville Park in Red Wing produced 3 dozen Bald Eagle, hundreds on C. Merganser
and a smattering of Mallard.

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji MN