[mou] Birds around Duluth over the weekend....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 21:28:05 CST 2007

Over the past three days bohemian waxwings have been massing on Minnesota
Point.  Today there were at least 200 of them near the soccer field  devouring
apples, eating snow, bathing in the snow, eating salt off the roads,  they are
an absolute blast to watch. There was also a robin on Saturday  mixing it up
with the bohemians.  There was also 10 cedar waxwings hanging  around with the
bohemians on Saturday.  One of the cedars was a very young  juvenile who would
occasionally still beg from the adults to be fed even though  he appeared
completely capable of chowing down on the apples independently. Also  saw about 5
bald eagles flying around Lake Superior.  Found a northern  shrike on Hwy 61
one mile past the French River as you head towards Two Harbors  from Duluth.
This is the third time I have seen a shrike in that area in  the past two
weeks so it could be the same one.  Saw one rough legged hawk  at Minnesota Point
today while watching the bohemians, at one point the rough  legged flew right
past a tall maple that the bohemians were perched in, they  did'nt seem the
least bothered.  And lastly, pine grosbeaks have been  present at Minnesota
Point consistently for quite some time now, never in big  numbers, but I hardly
ever miss that species when I look through the crabapple  trees on Park Point.
Happy Birding, Shawn  Zierman.