[mou] Pine Grosbeaks, etc/ Otter Tail Co

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan at digitaljam.com
Tue Dec 11 13:21:44 CST 2007

In the midst of Holiday errands, we squeezed in a little birding in Otter
Tail County on Monday (12/10).

Thanks to the reports of Amy and Jeff Drake, we got to see the Pine
Grosbeaks (we saw 7) in their yard near Walker Lake (which in turn, is just
north of Ottertail Lake).  The birds were actively feeding in the apple tree
and feeders right next to their house when we drove into the yard.  This
species has never been recorded in the short history of the Battle Lake CBC,
so hopefully the Drakes won¹t run out of frozen crabapples before Dec. 30.

Trumpeter Swans were in evidence wherever the Ottertail River was open near
public roads.  Especially good spots were at the extreme southwestern end of
Ottertail Lake where the river exits, then again further downstream where
the river enters Deer Lake and further along off CR #1 near Phelps Mill.

At the ³levee² area in residential Fergus Falls, there were MANY Canada
Geese and Mallards along with a few Common Goldeneye and a half-dozen
American Coots.  With the heavy snowfall, Pheasants and Turkeys were
foraging on and near roads.  At home, we have a Ruffed Grouse who has been
regularly visiting our high-bush cranberries and a single Common Grackle who
appears to be considering an attempt at over-wintering.

Our best,
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Otter Tail County
Battle Lake, MN