[mou] Duluth Birds/Great Gray Owls/Hedbom Logging Rd.

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 11:24:36 CST 2007

Hello:

Duluth birds yesterday:
Canal Park: Behind and to the north of Canal Park Lodge
Birds: 155 Mallards, 7 Black Ducks, 1 Gadwall

My backyard:
2 Common Grackles

Sax Zim Bog:

1. Great Gray Owl: Off Co. Rd 133 take Co. Rd 29 (Jev. Witness Church on corner) and head north on 29 to Centerline Rd. Take a right (east) on Centerline Rd till it bends north and right before you enter the alder marsh a Great Gray Owl seen here several times by the owner of the Country Market.

2. Great Gray Owl: Off Co. Rd 133 take Co. Rd 47 and head south. Co. Rd 47 will bend to the east or left and then bend again to the south or right. Right where Co. Rd 47 bends to the south is where a Great Gray Owl was seen by the local bus driver several times in the early mornings.

HedBom Logging Rd was reported last night as NOT being plowed as there was still a foot and an half of snow still on the road with drifts. Of course I was frighten by this news and I told the Meadowlands Board that we need to get this road open. So my good friend Daryll (owner of Country Market) called the Floodwood Tool House and I just recieved good news that the Hedbom Logging Rd has been plowed and its open for traffic once again!!

The Sax-Zim Bog Winter Bird Festival is doing quite well! We now have 50 people signed up and 15 states representing those that have registered online. Also most bird feeding stations have Evening Grosbeaks and Pine Grosbeaks coming to the feeders. No Redpolls and this might be one of them years that northern Minnesota will be without redpolls as they moved south and east of us.

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/