[mou] Ross's Gull, So. St. Paul

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sat Dec 15 12:31:47 CST 2007

 From 10:45-11:30 this morning (Sat., 15 Dec.) I watched an adult
winter Ross's Gull in the Mississippi R. in South  St. Paul, about
1/2 mile N of the pedestrian overpass at Grand and Hardman Ave. I
watched the gull both on the ice at rather close range (125 m, with
30x scope) and in flight (125-250 m). All pertinent field marks were
noted, including white wedge-shaped tail, tiny black bill, very small
size, pink bloom on underparts, solid gray primary pattern (both
dorsally and ventrally) with white trailing edge of wing. The initial
location was at the edge of open water about 1/2 mile N of the
pedestrian overpass. At 11:20 it flew N to a small patch of open
water about 1 mi. N of the overpass, and landed on the ice. When I
left to send this message (11:40), I could no longer see the gull. I
do not know if it continued farther N, or returned to the original
area of open water.

Bruce A. Fall,
Minneapolis