[mou] Ross's Gull this evening (headed south)

Paul Hurtado pauljh at cam.cornell.edu
Sun Dec 16 02:02:44 CST 2007

Hello everyone,

I'm a visiting birder from Pueblo, Colorado (via Ithaca, New York), and
was fortunate enough to spend the last hour or so of day light watching
the ROSS'S GULL (a lifer) with Bruce Fall and others (I'm horrible with
names) south of the 494 Bridge.  A HUGE thanks to Bruce and others for
getting the word out about this great bird! :)  It was a treat to see the
bird on the ice, in the water, eating, sleeping, flying, etc. -- excellent
views of nearly all parts of this handsome bird! :)

I wanted to let everyone know that the bird did leave the area this
evening...

After everyone left around 4:45pm, the ROSS'S GULL woke up from its nap
and began flying around again, catching another small fish and taking it
to the ice edge to eat.  After more circling the area, the bird headed
SOUTH down the river staying below tree-top level, until I lost sight of
it at exactly 5:00pm, still headed down the river.

Hopefully, it will return to this same area tomorrow (it had at least some
success feeding, it seems), however it may be worth checking points
south if the bird isn't around the same area tomorrow.  Hopefully if it
goes anywhere it won't be too far.

I've submitted the Ross's Gull and a few other birds in the area (N.
Shrike, etc.) to eBird (www.ebird.org) -- the report is below.

Best of luck if you go searching for this bird tomorrow!!!

Good birding,
-Paul Hurtado :)

Location:     Pig's Eye Slough
Observation date:     12/15/07
Number of species:     9

Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     2
Common Goldeneye - Bucephala clangula     6     At least this many
Common Merganser - Mergus merganser     120     Many birds continued to fly into the area as I left at dark.
Bald Eagle - Haliaeetus leucocephalus     3
Herring Gull - Larus argentatus     12     At least this many when I arrived.
Ross's Gull - Rhodostethia rosea     1    Adult bird in basic plumage,
seen by many observers.  First found by Bruce Fall up the river from here earlier in the day. I have some photos,
although better documentation exists at http://moumn.org/gallery/right_page.php?index=0&species=Ross's%20Gull&region=MN
Rock Pigeon - Columba livia     X
Northern Shrike - Lanius excubitor     1     Seen along Verderosa Rd. north of the 494 bridge.
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     100