[mou] Miscellany

Kathy Confer confer at umn.edu
Tue Dec 18 13:37:59 CST 2007

Good afternoon....I work on the Minneapolis/East Bank campus of the
University of Minnesota. This morning around 11:45 a.m., while walking
from Walter Library to Rapson Hall via the mall sidewalk near Northrop
Auditorium, I saw 13 American robins, 5 tree sparrows, 2  pigeons, and a
male Northern cardinal. The location, more specifically: robins mostly
in small crabapple (?) tree (and surrounding larger trees) on eastern
edge of Northrop Plaza wall; some robins and sparrows in small birch
next to Morrill Hall south side door; and the cardinal in a large tree
on the Church St corner of Morrill Hall. Robins were also seen in trees
outside of Rapson Hall connection to the Mechanical Engineering Bldg.
The robins have been around for a couple of weeks, but I had never seen
this many before in these two blocks...Here's to good birding at your
place of employment!

Kathy Confer

PS: A week ago, I had an adult red-tailed hawk come crashing into the
branches of a small grove of trees right next to my house--trying to
land about 15 feet above the ground. I think it was after a red squirrel
that was "frozen" mid-trunk below where the hawk landed. The hawk
couldn't get its wings folded up to perch on the limb so it took off as
quickly and clumsily as it had tried to land...Suburban Wild Kingdom
near Lake Josephine, off of Lexington Avenue, where Arden Hills,
Shoreview and Roseville meet.