[mou] which is more likely...

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 08:15:27 CST 2007

Hi all,

On Sunday, December 9th, I saw a grayish bird with a short black bill in a tree in our back yard.  This bird was robin sized, and when I went to get my binocs on him, he flew.

I have been leaning toward calling it either a Gray Jay or a Townsend's Solitaire, though I'm not sure which would be more likely to be seen here in Hastings.  I see from this year's sightings maps, that Townsend's Solitaire has been seen farther north, so I am leaning town the Jay.  I know it wasn't the Shrike I saw yesterday, as it lacked a mask (unless it was the Lone Ranger off duty...).

I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.