[mou] New birds for the year?

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:37:40 CST 2007

Hello,

I started birdwatching in the summer of 2005 and finished the year
with 138 species.  By the end of 2006 I was at 215 and excited about
chasing after 300 and then on.

But something happened to me when I traveled to Duluth to see the
Northern Hawk-Owl that was hanging out near the coffee shop on the
north end of Duluth. The Northern Hawk-Owl was the bird that I have
wanted to see more than anything since I started birding and I could
not contain my excitement.   I drove up from the Twin Cities,
followed the directions posted, saw the owl, ate dinner, went home
feeling rather let down.  I wasn't let down by the owl - It gave me
great looks and never left the area.  I guess that I just find it
more interesting to suddenly discover a bird while out birding,
either alone or in a group.

I will remember my first sighting of many other birds more vividly
than I will remember the Hawk-Owl and that bothers me.

I will finish out 2007 with a life list of 265.  Nothing wrong with
265 birds in your first two years of birding.   I could of easily had
many more if I had chased after a few birds but the Hawk-Owl changed
something in me and I've decided that I don't want my first ever
sighting of a bird to be "expected".  It gave me the same feeling as
seeing a bird in a zoo.

This past June I traveled with my fiance and family to Florida for a
few days.  Over 3 days of birding, I saw 31 life birds and every one
of them was a surprise.  It felt great and I decided that chasing
numbers was not why I got into birding.  I got into birding because I
loved the thrill of finding and having to ID a bird on the spot
without already knowing where it is (or should be).

Anyway, this is not any sort of criticism of anyone or the trend in
birding.  I still keep a detailed life list (down to the county
level) and love checking off a new bird - I just like it when I
didn't see it coming.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

-Derek Bakken