[mou] Best New Bird

linda whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Thu Dec 20 09:47:53 CST 2007

Having had to think a bit about Derek's comments, I have to say there is no
one stand-out memory for a  new bird, but rather many. I can visually recall
the places where I encountered most of my new lifers, and as for Sue and
others, some of these were not pursued, but just serendipitous.

Even a known bird can be a memorable joy. A few winters ago, when Rob was
undergoing major cancer surgery, my only daily comfort and pleasure, was the
unprecedented residence of a little RB nuthatch around my yard. I think it
reminded me of times and places beyond the scope of out troubles, keeping me
connected to the world at large.

I'm still thinking about the question of how I approach improvement of my
birding skills, but I know it's a task worth undertaking.

Linda Whyte