[mou] Black Dog Lake (Glaucous, possible Iceland)

Paul Hurtado pauljh at cam.cornell.edu
Thu Dec 20 19:11:04 CST 2007

Hi everyone,

I stopped by Black Dog Lake/Reservoir today from around 4:40-5pm, spending
that time near the outlet trying to sort through the distant flock of
gulls across the lake.

When I arrived a KINGFISHER flew up from below the outlet into the trees,
calling as it flew.  In the corner of the lake were a few TRUMPETER SWANS
(down from the 11 I saw there yesterday morning) and a few Canada Geese
(B. c. maxima?).  Also in the same area yesterday during the late morning
was a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER below the outlet with a flock of 12+
HOODED-MERGANSERS.

I tried to scope the flock of 200+ gulls (mostly HERRING GULLS) but
visibility wasn't all that good due to the fading light, cold air in my
eyes, and steam off the water.

Stil, 4 birds caught my eye among the masses, all were "white winged"
gulls (Glaucous, Iceland or Glaucous-winged type birds) however only 1-2
were seen well enough to identify (1 Ad. and 1 1st/2nd year GLAUCOUS
GULLS).

Bird #1:  A 1st or 2nd winter GLAUCOUS GULL.  Pale creamy bird with
wingtips as pale or paler than the upper parts and a strongly bicoloured
bill. Not a super-pale individual though -- very reminiscent of the
glaucous gull seen this past Sunday while looking for the Ross's Gull near
the 494 bridge.

Bird #2:  A slighly smaller, paler young bird that was about Herring Gull
sized (maybe a bit larger, if anything).  I didn't get great looks at this
bird as it blended in a little too well with the snow and ice under the
poor viewing conditions, the bill wasn't ever seen.  Other than the pale
creamy white plumage (including wing-tips) I would guess a paler 1st/2nd
winter smaller Glaucous or maybe larger Iceland Gull, etc. -- but who
knows...

Bird #3: Apparently an adult GLAUCOUS GULL.  A larger, paler bird than the
surounding adult Herring Gulls. The bird was facing away from me and was
clearly paler than the nearby Herring Gulls.  It had noticable white
scapular crescents and wing tips more pale than the upperparts, at times
looking almost white (but they could have been grayish white -- again,
the poor visibility).  I don't have any guides with me, however looking at
on-line resources I don't think it could have been something else like
Glaucous-winged Gull - the only other option I could think of (?), based
on the larger size and pale wingtips.  Also, the head was only lightly
marked if anything, wing tips obviously paler than the light gray upper
parts, large size, etc.  Bill and legs were never seen.

Bird #4:  A similarly pale looking young bird, perhaps a little darker
than the other two pale young gulls.  This bird was only seen from the
back later during my stay, when the light was getting bad -- but it was as
pale or a little darker than the young Glaucous, and noticeably paler than
nearby 1st winter Herring Gulls.  I would guess this was also a young
Glaucous Gull based on larger size and pale plumage, however I really
didn't see it all that well and couldn't rule out Glaucous-winged or
something weird.  Wing tips weren't seen really well, but didn't contrast
noticeably with the rest of the bird.

Good birding,
-Paul Hurtado