[mou] Ottertail Cty. pine grosbeak update

Jeff and Amy Drake jadrake at arvig.net
Sun Dec 23 17:50:44 CST 2007

The pine grosbeaks have continued a sporadic appearance.  I spotted 3 both today and yesterday.  I cut up an extra apple and put it in the tray feeder they frequent.  Can't tell if they've eaten any or not.

The mourning dove made a brief cameo this afternoon and the cardinal pair were back this evening.

The goldfinches are abundant and have had at least 4 pine siskins in their midst.

The rest of our usual feathered visitors remain in residence.

On a light note, the kids and I had an up-close experience with a trumpeter swan last week.  It was jogging down the shoulder of the road (cty. hwy 1)coming toward us as we were on our way home.  We slowed the car and got a great look.  "What big feet it has, Mom!"  We were all amazed at just how big a swan is - it was able to look my 6 yr. old in the eye while he sat in his booster seat.

We drove down the road and turned around so my daughter would have it on her side.  When we caught up with it, it was hustling down the center line and wouldn't cross the road.  It didn't appreciate us creeping up on it with the car and so spread its wings while it ran faster.  It crossed the road and slid gracelessly down the river bank and into the Ottertail River near its outlet into the North end of Ottertail Lake.  What a facinating experience!  I'm glad we were the only car nearby at the time.  So often people drive too fast in that section of road that I suspect it could have been hit and killed.  As it is, I wonder if the swan had had a close call and couldn't fly.  I can't imagine it was out there jogging for its health.  :)

Amy Drake
Richville, MN
Ottertail County