[mou] birder warnings

Laura Erickson bluejay at lauraerickson.com
Sun Dec 23 22:38:05 CST 2007

We are long past the days when we defeated our enemies by being
unafraid ("The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.")  It's
unfair and unreasonable to be treated as suspicious by fearful people.
 But it's a given in this fear-driven era.  Do remember though that
policemen didn't write the rules, and if they're conscientiously doing
their job, they may be required to enforce unfair rules.  Being polite
is the right thing to do, as well as the practical thing to do if you
don't want the situation to escalate into something dangerous.

If you happen to have a digital camera on you, you can do what Sparky
recently said he'd done--show the photos to the person questioning
your motives to prove that you're really focused on birds.  Having
field guides and/or Kim Eckert's book in your car (especially if
you're birding at a place mentioned in Kim's book) can also
corroborate your case.  Above everything, be calm and polite--even
when the rules suck and seem counter-productive, we're stuck with them
and we're past the days when American citizens were considered
innocent until proven guilty if even a tenuous case of terrorism can
be suggested.

Meanwhile, maybe the best thing we can all do to be proactive is to
wear our binoculars into restaurants and gas stations when we're
birding.  People should be far more used to seeing birders wearing
binoculars.

Laura Erickson
Duluth

--
Laura Erickson
For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after
the winter.

			--Rachel Carson