[mou] Slaty-backed Gull at Superior, WI landfill

Peder Svingen psvingen at d.umn.edu
Fri Dec 28 16:18:44 CST 2007

Approximately three hours of watching gulls from outside the fence at
the Superior Landfill today (28 December 2007) revealed the following
larids:

Herring Gull -- 950 (counted by groups of 50 in flight; this was the
highest total out of about 15 counts);
Thayer's Gull -- 4 (one first-cycle, one second-cycle, 2 adults);
Glaucous Gull -- 12 (5 first-cycle, 2 second-cycle, 2 third-cycle, 3
adults);
Great Black-backed Gull -- one first-cycle.

Prior to my arrival, Fr. Tom Margevicius saw a first-cycle Iceland
Gull. The Slaty-backed Gull (see below) was not refound.

Fr. Tom also mentioned that he found a Northern Hawk Owl yesterday
along the Admiral Road (St. Louis County Road 788), about a mile north
of the Sax Road (county road 28) in the Sax-Zim Bog.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN