[mou] Birding Today

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 17:19:50 CST 2007

Birding today with some birders from Indiana. Arrived at the bog at 7:20am for dawn owling.

Sax Zim Bog:
- No Hawk Owl seen near the intersection of Co. Rd 7 and Co. Rd 28. Made 3 visits looking for the owl.
-No Great Gray Owl on McDavitt Rd or the Admiral Rd.

Good News:
- 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers at the instersection of the Blue Spruce Rd and Co. Rd 133
- 1 male American Three-toed Woodpecker 1 mile north of Co. Rd 133 on the Blue Spruce Rd.
- Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks, Redpolls seen at the feeding station on the Blue Spruce Rd. The feeding station is the first house on the left before you cross over the small bridge on the Blue Spruce Rd.  The owner (Derek) plowed a wide area for many cars to park to view the feeders. If there is a donation box on site please donate $ for feed as this is a good feeder with a lot of birds.
- Boreal Chickadee on McDavitt Rd  3.0 miles north of Co. Rd 28 (Sax Rd) mixed in with a large group of Black-capped Chickadees.

* Met a wonderful man from Hibbing who is spreading sunflower seeds and corn on the road for birds. He tosses out about 200lbs each time he visits the bog!  He is also hanging suet feeders on Owl Ave, McDavitt Rd and Admiral Rd.  He has a good bird feeding site at the north end of the bend on Owl Avenue on the west side of the road near the east west culvert.  There are a lot birds visiting that site.  I forgot his name but he's a pretty wonderful guy to drive around and feed the birds on his own plus the suet he hangs out!

Superior Landfill in Wisconsin:
-same amount of gulls Peder reported tonight and we saw everything Peder reported except the Great Black-backed Gull.

* We did check out the airport for the Snowy Owl and the Christmas Count Hawk Owl on Airpark Blvd and found no owls.

I'll be guiding every day till January 8. I'll keep everyone posted on what we see each day.

Mike Hendrickson

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/