[mou] Sharp-tailed Grouse dancing in Aitkin Cty.

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Fri Dec 28 20:40:47 CST 2007

I observed good numbers of Sharp-tailed Grouse at two of the locations referenced in the Duluth RBA.? South of Tamarack, .6 miles south of Hwy 210 on Cty. 16 (Kestrel Av.) there were 15 ST Grouse feeding along a few rows of corn stalks east of the road.? This is just south of the farm house west of the road.? Continue south to 420th St. and take a right.? At 1.8 miles west of Kestrel Av., in a field just southwest of a brown house w/yellow trim and a camper trailer with a green stripe in the yard, 11 ST Grouse were dancing!? What a lovely sight.? I observed the 1st group from 8:40-8:55 and the group of dancers at 9:10.

I didn't see anything else unusual in my wanderings.? I drove through Hedbom Road and saw a Barred Owl 3.1 miles east of the west entrance.? I did not make stops on the road.? It was plowed for a half mile at either end, but in between it was two tracks in the snow with a high median of snow that tickled my car's belly.? I imagine it will get plowed.

In the Sax Zim area I didn't see much of note.? The feeder station on Blue Spruce Road at the corner with Swenson Rd. was popular with the Evening Grosbeak crowd. There were a couple of small flocks of Redpolls and BC Chickadees.? A couple of Gray Jays were feeding at one of the many piles of corn and sun flower seeds.? I was wondering what that was all about until I read Mike's post.

Linda