[mou] Sax-Zim area Dec 27-28

Noah Kahn noahkahn00 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 10:58:48 CST 2007

My wife and I are visiting birders from Silver Spring, MD.  In 2 days driving around Sax-Zim on Dec 27-28, and surrounding areas, we saw all the usual suspects, with a few species of note.  Of the expected species, I found that Northern Shrike was more abundant than in years past, and I also saw my first Mourning Dove (1) ever in winter here.

  Great Gray Owl: 1 on Lake Nichols Road, ~0.25 mi East of CR 7, just southeast of first bridge you come to.  4pm.

  Black-backed Woodpecker: 1 (maybe 2) on Hedbom Forest Rd, 3.5 mi West of Robinson Rd.  Extensive flaking of bark on south side of road made it pretty easy to find the site; seeing the bird took more patience. 9:30am.

  Rough-legged Hawk: 3 (1 on 420th St. south of Tamarack) (2 in center of Sax-Zim Bog)

  Noah Kahn
  Silver Spring, MD

Noah Kahn

"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot...like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild, and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television, and the chance to find a pasque-flower is a right as inalienable as free speech."
Aldo Leopold (who else?)