[mou] Dec 26th Birding

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 17:09:09 CST 2007

Day two with a couple of birders from Indiana.

Highlights:

-Northern Hawk Owl at the intersection of Sax Rd (Co. Rd 28) and the railroad tracks or 2/3 of a mile west of Co. Rd 7. Seen today at 2:30pm

-Great Gray Owl 1.7 miles west of Co. Rd 7 on the Lake Nichols Rd. ( 3:00pm till 4:00pm)

I have a third hand report that there is a Snowy Owl on the Arkola Rd (Co. Rd 52). I checked the open areas west of Co. Rd 7 and found no signs of an owl but did not check the open areas on the east side of Co. Rd 7

A birder from Chicago (Brian) reported to me that he found a Spruce Grouse on Hwy 1 in Lake Co. between mile posts 303-304 in the early am hours picking at grit on the highway.

Brian also reported seeing 25 White-winged Crossbills in Two Harbors along 2nd Ave near where the Solitaires were reported this winter. (See latest Duluth RBA for exact direction for Solitaires)

Steve Roman reported to me today that there was a male Black-backed Woodpecker along the Blue Spruce Rd off Co. Rd 133 in the Sax-Zim Bog area. The area where the woodpeckers are being found is roughly one mile north of Co. Rd 133. There is a large amount of trees being worked on both sides of the Blue Spruce Rd.

Good Birding

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/