[mou] Blackbacked woodpeckers in Canosia....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 21:15:22 CST 2007

As earlier posted by Mike Cary there were blackbacked woodpeckers in  Canosia
wildlife refuge in Hermantown Minnesota today.  Found two females  and heard
at least one other bird that was in too deep in the woods to go  looking for.
Both female blackbackeds were easily found due to their loud  knocking.  I
did not find any areas that looked like classic "workings" or  flaked trees.
The two birds I observed were foraging loudly like hairy  woodpeckers would by
drilling into the spruce trees.  Also saw one pileated  woodpecker, and a small
flock of six pine grosbeaks on Ugstad road on the way  out to canosia.  The
snow mobile trail and cross country ski trails make  walking in the snow fairly
easy but if you go off the trail the snow is  deep.
Shawn Zierman.