[mou] backyard shrike - Edina

sue suekeator at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 06:56:56 CST 2007

I've spent quite a bit of time the past three days watching a WT Sparrow in a feeder 5 feet outside my dining room.  It appears sluggish -sits in the feeder for up to 1 1/2 hours at a time, although it does spend some time eating the black oil sunflowers there.  I put some bacon fat out yesterday thinking that might be a good energy boost.
While I was on the deck I noticed a bird in the birch tree far in the back of my yard, near the lake.  Could it be?  Indeed, a new yard bird for me - a Shrike!  Of course, by the time I got the spotting scope set up it had moved on.  Couldn't tell which it was with my binocs as it mainly had its back to me, but what a nice way to wrap up my "yard year" list!
Happy New year, all!
Sue on Melody Lake, Edina