[mou] Snowy Owl: Wabasha CBC

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 31 08:51:52 CST 2007

Yesterday's Wabasha CBC produced many good birds and with 58 species,
probably a record number of species.  Birding was slow away from the feeders
and the river with its waterfowl and eagles.  Interesting birds seen:

Snowy Owl: A very white individual was seen on the river ice on the
Mississippi north of the dam at the Wisconsin town of Alma.  Directions: Go
south on US 61 to CR24 (or CR30 map is unclear) just about a mile north of
Kellogg.  Cross the railroad and follow the road north to the first
intersection and take CR24 east.  When the road turns north take the first
right at the sign to the campground (Pioneer?).  Follow the road a couple of
blocks to the frontage road along the river and head south perhaps a couple
of blocks to the public water access parking lot.  Follow the path on the
dike for at least three quarters of a mile to just before the dam.  Look
through your scope to the north.  The trip acorss the  dike will probably be
cold and windy and the the walk down from the parking lot is not for the
unseady of foot (it looks like a toboggan run).  And, of course the owl may
not be visible when you get there.  Looking north from the dam from the Alma
side requires little to no hiking, but I have no idea if the line of sight
is clear.  We did try to see by hiking across a backwater from about a mile
to the north.  Be cautious, the ice on the river is not safe.  And while the
owl might have been quite a bit closer, it was not visible.  Perhaps it had
left.

Redhead: on the river amoung thousands of ducks.
Ring-neck Duck: best viewing south of dam at Alma.  May be on either side of
border in mid channel.
Scaup: (Lesser?) female with Ring-neck Duck.
Tufted Titmouse: at a feeder on Riverview Drive off of CR24.
Pine Siskins: one large flock behind the high school at Wabasha.  Pairs seen
elsewhere.

Record numbers:
C. Mergansers (~800)
C. Goldeneye (~700)
Red-breasted Nuthatch: we found 9 and others found a few, but I do not know
if the total beats the record of 13.

sweston2 at comcast.net