[mou] Birding Today

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 17:54:21 CST 2007

Day two with Dennis, Patricia and Gina.

Two Harbors:  White-winged Crossbills (30+) along 1st street between 4th Ave to 2nd Ave. There is large group of spruce trees along the lake walk across from the city park. We saw these birds at 8:30am.

Superior Landfill:

-3 Iceland Gulls
-1 Thayer's Gull
-6 Glaucous Gulls

Sax Zim Bog:

-Hoary Redpoll at the Derek Morse feeding station on the Blue Spruce Rd (Co. Rd 211).

* When you visit Derek Morse's feeding station and you meet Derek please donate some money to him for the bird feed. This is a absolutey beautiful feeding station with Evening Grosbeaks, Pine Grosbeaks, Gray Jays & Common Redpolls coming to the feeders.  Derek's mother is on the festival board. Derek set up this feeding station for us birders to enjoy. Also Derek plowed a huge parking lot for birders to park on and he erected 3 spruce trees around the feeders for photographers, so please give back. Thanks.

* Searched for the Hawk Owl extensively.  Did not find the owl anywhere within a mile of the intersection of 28 and 7 in Sax Zim Bog.  I have no idea at this point if the owl moved on.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
Blog: http://colderbythelakebirding.blogspot.com/