[mou] Lark Bunting still in Polk Co. on 1 Jul.

Chu, Philip PChu at CSBSJU.EDU
Sun Jul 1 17:41:52 CDT 2007

This morning from about 9-10 AM I watched the Lark Bunting at the Polk Co. site identified yesterday.

Directions are as follows.  From the intersection of US 2 and CR 44, take CR 44 south for two miles; then turn left, i.e., east,  on 300th St. SW.  Follow 300th St. SW to the east until the gravel road ends (about a mile, I think); from the east end of the gravel road a two-track continues eastward.  Walk east along the two-track for 0.7 mile, to where a small cairn of stones in the south track marks "the spot;" from here, look to the south for the bunting.

If you're like me and wonder how you'll know when you've walked 0.7 mile, and whether the "small cairn of stones" will be so small as to be unrecognizable, then walk to the yellow "DIP" sign - the only road sign on the two-track.  From here it's about 130 yards further to a small white easement sign, and from the easement sign continue for another 65 yards to reach the cairn.

Phil Chu
Department of Biology
St. John's University
Collegeville, MN 56321