[mou] birding around

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 00:48:13 CDT 2007

On Sunday evening I walked a trail near the Canon river bottoms.  Luckily I lathered up with DEET before I hit the trail or the mosquitos would have been successful in driving my away or carrying me off.  birds included an Acadian Flycatcher, at least three Wood Thrushes, and three Scarlet Tanagers.  I shamelessly distrubed a couple of Red-eyed Vireos who obviously had set up home nearby as they flew about my head crying their alarms.  One bird buzzed me within a couple of feet of my head.  One also fearlessly fanned their tail.  Despite all of this, their nest remained hidden.

Today, I found at least five buteo hawks along highway 55 on the way to Hastings.  While the Red-tailed Hawks were on the poles, the only Swainson's Hawk was actually on the wire.  It seems that while most all of the roadside buteos I find are Red-tailed Hawks, almost always when one is on the wire, it is not a Red-tail.

sweston2 at comcast.net