[mou] birding around - Whip-poor-wills

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 04:09:16 CDT 2007

A few additions to my last post about birding on Sunday:

Mid afternoon I went over to the Old Cedar Bridge area to look for the Acadian Flycatcher.  I was unsuccessful, but did find one later in the early evening in Goodhue County as I reported in my last post.

I was heading down to Goodhue County to run my frog & toad survey.  Darkness did not come until almost 10pm and my survey was not completed until midnight.  One of my stops is notable for the usual presence of Whip-poor-wills.   While I heard them a few weeks earlier at this location, they did not call this evening.  I decided to detour on my way home to check Miesville Ravine for Whip-poor-wills.  I found at least four of them calling:
-one along Orlando (CR93) just before the road emerges from the woods into the farms fields along the river
-one was heard calling southwest from the south parking lot
-two were heard calling from in the ravine when I listened by the church.  I also heard one calling from the south east, but I could not eliminate the possibility that this was the same bird I had heard from the parking lot.

sweston2 at comcast.net