[mou] Sharp-shinned Hawk behavior

Bruce W. Stahly bstahly at boreal.org
Sun Jul 8 08:54:46 CDT 2007

Anyone know if it usual for a Sharp-shinned Hawk to be aggressive toward
an intruder (that would be me) after the young birds have hatched? I am
used to being dive-bombed by these birds during their courtship period
and early nesting cycle (end of May here in Cook County). There is
usually a Sharp-shinned Hawk nest somewhere in the vicinity of the paths
where we walk our dog twice a day or more. The aggressive behavior has
always ceased during the incubation period, and long before the young
have hatched, about July 1.  At the moment, I am being dive-bombed every
day by a Sharp-shinned Hawk, who seems particularly bold,  and who seems
to have a penchant for an attack from the rear. She (I believe it is the
female, based on size) has never actually touched me, but it is quite
startling to have a bird suddenly swoosh over your head from behind. I
would assume that the young are hatched out by now (though I've not
heard any begging calls).  I haven't located the nest, as it is too
stressful, for both me and the bird, to stand there looking for it.  Is
this behavior at this stage unusual? For the moment, I guess I will make
a detour around this area.

Bruce Stahly
Grand Marais