[mou] Birding Transcendence

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Wed Jul 11 10:42:07 CDT 2007

Birding is, quite simply, fun.  It can also be relaxing, frustrating,
energetic, addictive, quixotic and a host of other adjectives.

But, occasionally, speaking personally, it's something more.  There are
times when even common birds are a source of renewal, of intense but quiet
pleasure, even joy - when colors are sharper and songs touch our souls more
deeply - when one derives a heightened enjoyment of flight antics, or
experiences a sublime peace while being serenaded on a cool morning walk.

These moments cannot be contrived - often last only a few moments - and can
certainly be killed by over-analysis.

Moments of transcendence.

Know what I mean?  Ever experienced this?  Wonder what it means?  I do.

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties