[mou] birding this week

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 10:20:07 CDT 2007

Hi all,

On Monday, Jill and I were out on a bike ride on CR87 in Dakota County.  On the way back toward Nininger Rd., I saw what I thought might have been a Pine Siskin (?) on the power line near a soy bean field on the west side of 87.  I didn't have binocs with me, so I can't say for sure.  This bird had a yellow wash on its sides and was brownish on top.   I know that they aren't usually seen in Minnesota, but one was banded recently at Carpenter Nature Center.  According to http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/occurrence.pl?species=Pine%20Siskin&size=small&group=finches&season=all,
he may have been a little early or a little late, depending upon whether your glass is half-empty or half-full, I guess.

We also saw a flock of at least six Great Blue Herons flying over us at the same field.

On my way home that evening, I saw a Bald Eagle flying over the cornfield just west of the Hastings Wal-Mart on Rt. 55, and on Tuesday, I had a Scarlet Tanager fly across the road in front of my car in about the same area, just a little bit more west of Jacob Ave.

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN
rwoodphd at yahoo.com