[mou] Cass County Jaeger

B W wielandba at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 11:41:29 CDT 2007

This morning, 7/15, at 8:30 AM, Dale Yerger and I observed an adult Parasitic Jaeger near Pelican Island on Leech Lake.   The bird flew in from the east, harassed by a Common Tern, and continued west over Gull Island, where it was mobbed by more terns and RIng-billed Gulls.  The bird was first observed from approximately 70 yards distance, and we watched it for approximately 30 seconds as it flew away west and south.   We understand that this is an unusual record (and a tricky species), and will document this sighting with the MOU.

Pelican Island and the smaller islands to its immediate south, are located approx. 2 miles north of Whipholt, and only accessible by boat.  There are several thousand gulls, terns, cormorants, and pelicans at the islands.  Please note that the area is closed to close approach (marked by buoys), although birds on the islands can be viewed quite easily.....calm waters help.

Ben Wieland

Ben Wieland
Deep Portage Learning Center
2197 Nature Center Dr. NW