[mou] Arctic Tern update.

Bill Unzen bill.unzen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:24:30 CDT 2007

The adult Arctic Tern was still present this morning at the Big Stone NWR.
All observations were made from the dam along Hwy75 looking west over the
main east pool.

It was first spotted at 6:45AM following a group of 9 Forster's Terns coming
in from the NW and flying toward the dam. The Arctic broke off from the
group shortly after and I lost track of it. About half an hour later the
group of terns including the Arctic was refound on the rocks along the
southern shore of the main east pool (looking S/SW from the dam). The Arctic
spent 15 minutes perched on a rock before flying NW with most of the
Forster's. It was nearly half an hour before it came within visual range
again and was foraging with at least 17 Forster's Terns along the SW shore
for 15 minutes before it was last seen at 8:15AM flying north. It wasn't
seen again by the time I left an hour later.

There was also an adult Common Tern present and associating with
both the Forster's and the Arctic so caution is necessary when identifying
the Arctic.

Other birds of note at the refuge:
Greater White-fronted Goose
Snowy Egret
Black-bellied Plover
Herring Gull
Caspian Tern

Sharp-tailed Grouse at the junction of Big Stone CR64 and CR67.

Bill Unzen
Lac Qui Parle County.