[mou] Sharp-shinned Hawk nest --- update

Bruce W. Stahly bstahly at boreal.org
Mon Jul 16 16:11:17 CDT 2007

Following up on last week's post about the aggressive Sharp-shinned Hawk
I have been encountering:

Yesterday, I decided to risk a walk into the "danger" zone (where, a
week ago, I had been aggressively dive-bombed by a Sharp-shinned Hawk).
Apparently, the adults were both out hunting. All was quiet. I was able
to spot one juvenile, out of the nest, with most (but not all) of its
downy feathers gone. The bird was high in a spruce tree, which I suspect
is where the nest is. The nest itself is not visible. The tree is
directly adjacent to the path where I usually walk my dog twice a day,
so I can understand the birds' concern.

Today I heard begging calls, so I decided to try for another look at the
young hawks. Immediately, one of the adults raised the alarm,
dive-bombed me, and this time struck me on the back of the head. What a
shock. No damage done, not painful, just a big surprise.

Bruce Stahly
Grand Marais