[mou] ID skills retooling - confessions of a middle aged birder & erstwhile trip leader

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 14:26:17 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Pastor Al's email got me to thinking about a few things regarding birding reports, including some things that didn't involve myself.

The first one was about a bird that was seen a number of years ago in the Cayuga Lake area in upstate New York.  It seems that there was a bird outing to a local hotspot in the woods, and the group saw a bird that they identified as a Kentucky Warbler.  The leader had seen them before, and everyone in the group saw it and agreed it was a Kentucky.  Well, when it came time to report it, this bird that was ID'ed by a whole group of birders as a Kentucky Warbler, was shot down by one of what I call the "High Priests of Local Birding", who wasn't on the trip, but yet because, "we don't have Kentucky Warblers here", he quashed the sighting.

The second of these is more about a person than any one specific sighting report.  In Maryland, there was a guy by the name of Rick Blom.  Mr. Blom, who is now deceased, birded for a long time, and I believe was a co-author of what they call the "Yellow Book" in Maryland (which I have a copy of).  Mr. Blom was one of those people that was above question.  If someone said they saw an unusual bird, and Mr. Blom doubted the person's report, it usually died there.  From what I have heard about him from others, he would "browbeat" people into submission.  So, if you reported seeing a Broad-tailed Grackle in Maryland (even though they are possible according to range maps), and Mr. Blom questioned it, generally, the reporter changed their mind.  Mr. Blom was also what I would call a "High Priest of Local Birding".

A while back, Pastor Al posted asking why more people didn't post.  I think it's because a lot of people fear being questioned from afar, by someone that didn't see what they saw.  We have the "High Priests" to thank for that.

Good birding and reporting to all,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN